According to the CDC, more than half of children ages six to eight have at least one cavity. Your child doesn’t have to be one of those. The good news is that cavities are completely preventable with proper oral hygiene. But how do you motivate your little one to take care of his pearly whites? Dr. Matt and Dr. Tara at Smiles Dentistry for Kids in Overland Park, KS, recommend meeting children where they’re at developmentally.
For most children, technology is a great way to keep their attention while learning something new, like the importance of their mouth and how to brush and floss their teeth. Learn about some of the best interactive apps and games for teaching kids about oral health here!
1. Toothsavers Brushing Game
This free, interactive game enlists children to help save fairy tale characters from the cavity-creating sorceress. The curse can only be broken by brushing teeth, and as your child cleans teeth, more characters and areas of the map are unlocked. There are three mini-games to choose from:
- Play with Toothsaver: Players brush the villagers’ teeth and earn up to three stars based on how well they do. While brushing, they receive tips and pointers on how to brush properly.
- Have Fun with Your Friend: Working with a partner, one child holds the device in front of their mouth while the other brushes his friend’s teeth.
- Brush with Toothsaver: Set this two-minute animated video up while your child is brushing her teeth and she will brush along with the animation and learn the proper brushing technique.
2. Tiny Dentist
Prepare your child for their next dental exam and cleaning appointment by downloading this fun app! In Tiny Dentist, your child becomes the dentist. There is no limit to the number of patients they can help. Children can perform these tasks and treatments:
- Remove and fill cavities
- Remove tooth calculus (tartar)
- Use water and air spray
- Extract teeth
- Clean teeth
- Teeth whitening
- Put braces on
- Treat halitosis (bad breath)
3. Disney Magic Timer by Oral-B
With this free app, children can brush with their favorite Disney characters, learn proper brushing techniques with a timer and tips, win rewards, and you can track their progress with the Parent Portal. The Disney Magic Timer app helps kids brush up to two times longer than without it!
More Oral-Health-Related Apps for Kids
- Aquafresh Brush Time
- Brusheez- Little Monsters Toothbrush Timer
- Dentist Office Kids
- Tooth Fairy Princess Adventure
- Captain Aquafresh
Schedule Your Child’s Dental Exam Appointment
Searching for a fun, trusted, and experienced dentist in Overland Park? Look no further than our team at Smiles Dentistry for Kids! Dr. Matt and Dr. Tara have created a positive and friendly atmosphere that kids love to visit. With patience and understanding, we make sure all of our patients feel comfortable while receiving the care they need.
Exams and cleanings for children under two are FREE. To schedule your child’s first visit or bi-annual dental cleaning and exam appointment, call (913) 685-9990 today!